Cinderford, Forest of Dean 2016
Before the 18th century, there was very little in the way of any permanent settlements within the Forest of Dean, apart from one small town of Cinderford. Much of the population was set up in illegal settlements made up of makeshift cabins on Crown land. The illegal settlers had to move in order to find work and for the threat of expulsion.
With industry and the population growing many settlers wanted to make permanent settlements, and so moved to the edge of the Crown owned forest and created roughly built hamlets. Overtime these hamlets became well established, and still exist like Parkend and Berry Hill. Industry continued to be the main employer within the forest, with the coal industry itself employing half of the male working population up until 1945. 20 years later the last large colliery, Northern United would close.