Painswick Beacon, Cotswolds 2015
Situated just over a mile north of the village of Painswick lies Painswick Beacon. Historically the site of an Iron Age hill fort called Kimsbury, dated around 500-100 BC. Much of the ramparts of the fort are still intact, but the interior of the fort has been heavily quarried. Local legends say that the stone quarried from the site was used to build Gloucester Cathedral.
In 1891 Painswick Golf club was founded. The course was partly built within the fort, using the ramparts to create a testing course. Now the long-distance footpath the Cotswold Way runs through the site, and with the extensive views of the Severn Vale the fort attracts a lot of walkers.