Princess Royal Colliery, Forest of Dean 2016
Opened in 1842 the colliery grew to be highly productive for the Forest of Dean. At it’s height of productivity the colliery employed 1,300 men and produced 1,000 tons of coal per day. Princess Royal outlived many other large collieries of the area, and when nearby New Fancy colliery closed in 1944, Princess Royal found employment for 300 out of work miners. The colliery closed in 1962.
Some of the old colliery buildings are still in use by other industries and part of the site has been cleared for a new trading estate. North of the site is a very large spoil heap that belonged to the colliery that can be seen from the surrounding area.